Repair Flat Tire – Car Care
How to Repair a Flat Tire and What You Need to Know
Everyone gets a flat tire now and then. It’s important to know how to change it because you might be stuck in a location where you have no or little access to help. The following is a step-by-step guide to changing a flat tire. You will find that it is easy to do and requires little technical competence.
1) Make Sure the Vehicle Is not on an Incline – It’s very important that you make sure that your vehicle is not on a hill or incline. The last thing that you want is for your car to move from its position while you are changing a tire. You should use objects such as bricks to make sure that the car won’t roll. You should also turn on your hazard lights to alert other cars that you are changing a tire.
2) Put Your Parking Brake on – This will further prevent your car from moving or rolling.
3) Place the Jack in Position – You need to get a hold of the jack and place it underneath your car’s frame near the tire that needs to be changed. It might be a good idea to look at the owner’s manual to find the precise best spot to locate the jack.
6) Raise the Car – You should raise the jack so that it is supporting the car. This doesn’t mean that you should lift the car with the jack. Make sure that the jack is firmly supporting the car.
7) Remove the Wheel Cover or Hubcap – You may need to pry it off with a screwdriver. You may also need to pry it off in a couple of spots to loosen it.
8) Loosen the Nuts – You need to loosen the nuts by turning them counterclockwise. You shouldn’t take them off. Just loosen them. When you first loosen the nuts, the wheel should be still on the ground. This will help you gain traction on the nuts.
9) Raise the Car Off of the Ground – You need to do this so that you can get the tire off of the car. When you do this, you must make sure that the car is stable on the jack. If there is an issue, lower the jack and fix it before you lift the car again.
10) Take the Tire off of the Vehicle – You should do this by first removing the nuts and then pulling the tire from the car.
11) Put the Spare Tire on – You must align the rim of the spare with the wheel bolts and then put on the lug nuts. After you have them in, it’s necessary to tighten them. Also, you should make sure not to use so much force when tightening the nuts. You might disturb the jack.
12) Lower the Jack – You should lower the car while letting the jack support some of the weight of the tire. Then tighten the nuts one by one. At that point, you can fully lower the jack and take it out. Finish tightening the nuts and put the hubcap back on.
13) Put the flat tire in your trunk and drive the car to your chosen mechanic. They will fix the tire if it’s fixable or sell you a new one if it’s not repairable.
As you can see, changing a flat tire is not very difficult and requires very little technical skill. By following the steps above, you can make sure that your vehicle is safe to drive back to your mechanic. You need to always make sure that you are carrying a spare tire, a jack, and the proper tools to take off and install a tire.